Monday, February 2, 2009

Good intentions fall by the wayside

A few days ago I vowed to myself that I'd start spending more time at the barn and actually get back into working the horses. The couple of frigid cold snaps we had in January had really sapped my barn energy. The horses were getting turned out most days so it was easy to talk myself out of taking their blankets off and doing much with them.

Now, a new month. I find that I usually feel reenergized in February. It seems brighter out and less wintry, the days are getting longer, and I just feel perkier! I rode Dude on Friday and lunged Bestie on Saturday, but by the time I got to the barn Sunday it was just after haying time and I was beat from cross country skiing in Stowe all day. Then today I didn't get out of work until later, so arrived at the barn just after haying time AGAIN. When that happens on a weekday I start feeling kind of crunched with no time to do anything RIGHT ... work horses, make dinner, get some work done at home in prep for tomorrow, laundry, blah blah blah. So I gave them both a good brushing and departed. They were perfectly happy, and certainly don't seem to care that my vow seems to be, hmmn, not very long-lived!

I did talk to the owner at our new barn and got their feed squared away and shared a few laughs about their personalities and my opinion on how their personalities will affect the new stall and turnout arrangements. Summary: Dude, hey man, no sweat. Bestie, This stall is MINE and this field is MINE and you'd best recognize that I'm in charge here if you know what's good for you. Heeeee.

I still need to call the vet later in the month and give them the change of address. I feel a list in the making :). Item #1: Clean out tack trunk. There's a lot of stuff in there that doesn't need to be transported to a new home. It's similar to all the old gunk that accumulates in a medicine cabinet; stuff that you see and think, "Geez, when did I use THAT?" It'll be like an archeological dig. Can't wait.

No comments: