Friday, February 6, 2009

Happy thoughts

Last night it was really cold so consequently it was pretty quiet at the barn in the late afternoon. For a while it was just me and Kara, who was feeding last night, and the quiet sound of horses munching hay and grain (love that!). I was finishing up with Dude and Bestie, just about ready to get ready for yoga when Jen came in. She has been serving as the birth coach for a friend, and her friend had her water break yesterday morning, so they were at the barn kind of killing time before having to head back to the hospital a bit later in the evening.

As Jen took care of her horse Ariele, Jen's pregnant friend and another friend that had been in the car came into the barn to walk the aisle, since the doctor had told the expectant mom to walk. The whole situation was just so amusing to me and it made me feel so happy ... Jen running around doing Ariel's water and cleaning her stall, her friend walking around the aisles and talking to the horses, who were all placidly chewing their hay. I was imagining what her friend would say to her child years from now, "Yes, I spent the night you were born in a horse barn, talking to horses." The whole thing seemed so funny and yet so right.

Then I went to yoga and our opening chant was something like, "May all beings find happiness and well being." As we started the chant, my thoughts flew immediately to the baby, wishing he or she a good life. It might sound kind of crazy, but to me, the peaceful scene at the barn seemed to flow right into the same peace at yoga, and it felt like a good omen for Jen's friend's baby. I didn't see Jen at the barn today, so can't wait to hear how it all turned out.

No comments: