Monday, August 31, 2009

Day #2

Last night/this a.m. I woke up at 1:30 convinced that something terrible had happened at the barn. Just one of those typical wee hours irrational feelings, like Dude had gotten his teeth hung up in the mesh biting at his neighbor, or something. So when the phone rang at 6:45 this morning I jumped to answer it. It was a call from the barn with a modification to the plan that was developed last night -- which was that Dude would get turned out with his new pasturemates upon my arrival at the barn, planned for 7:30. They had decided to go to Plan B. No great surprise: he threw a major fit once he saw everyone getting turned out before him. So they decided to put him out, which was fine, and all went well. He got one small bite on his rump which took some hair off but didn't break the skin. When I got there after 4 pm, he was still outside, hanging out in the top half of the field with a barn kitty in his leftover hay. His pasture mates had been brought in to be ridden. But he seemed fine (--she writes with utter disbelief!).

When I went out to get him, he turned and looked at me and then slowly ambled toward me. Huh. I walked him into the indoor since we hadn't explored that yet. We did a loop around it, and then I brought him to his stall, where he promptly pooped and peed and started happily eating his hay. Even the threatening faces at his next door neighbors were few and far between tonight.

When I arrived at the barn, Bestie was also still out with her girl gang, and was grazing quite happily next to Molly, her nemesis from yesterday. Very funny. They worked it out, apparently. So much so that when the barn manager started bringing horses in, she brought in Bestie and Molly together.

I'm a pretty cautious person, so far be it from me to pronounce this move successful at the end of Day #2. But things are looking pretty darn good. :)

No comments: