Saturday, August 15, 2009

Hose the horses. Hose the horses. Hose the horses.

OK, it's a bit ridiculous how we've had a pretty cool and rainy summer and now all of a sudden we are having total sweatbox days. It's like going from one extreme to the other. And I hate to be a whiner (I first spelled it without the "h," a little slip there since I was just thinking about having a nice cold glass of white!), but it's kind of hard to adjust to. It's funny how you adapt/or not to weather patterns. This one we're experiencing now is totally similar to the summer weather I spent years and years coping with in Virginia, and it wouldn't have fazed me at all there. But I also lived with A/C 24/7 there and had no barnyard animals.

Beginning on Thursday, all I've done is muck their stalls, graze them until the flies drive them or me crazy, and hose them down. Too hot to muster the energy for lunging or riding. One day I think I lasted maybe 4 minutes outside with Dude. When the flies starting swarming both his face and mine, that was IT; we both had a meltdown. Today was hot, but the flies weren't as bad. The horses came in around noon and hung out the whole afternoon in their stalls, which is actually pretty comfortable for them since most people have fans hung on their stall doors. I hosed Bestie, then Dude, and while I was hosing him off the hose burst a small hole and I got soaked, which felt pretty good, but I think I looked a little scary going into the grocery store later.

I guess tomorrow is supposed to the the doozy ... 90 degrees. I know some people scoff at 90 like it's nothing (my Florida-resident sister, for one), but heck, this is the North Country. In another month we'll have nights in the 40s and I can whine about that. :)

No comments: