Saturday, April 10, 2010

Grooming and grazing

I hope the last couple of weeks aren't a sign of what's to come. I've been really busy at work and have been doing very rushed trips to the barn that aren't very enjoyable at all. I did pretty well during the early part of the week, lunging Bestie on Sunday, riding Dude on Monday, and riding Bestie on Tuesday. It all fell apart after that, and I didn't have a chance to get back on either one of them until my lesson on Dude Friday.

Last weekend was positively gorgeous, really warm and sunny. We had a few wet days throughout the week, so their turnout has been unpredictable. Yesterday and today they were in, and by the time I got to the barn today, Dude was ready to kick his door down. I think that they are a bit crazy from the grass; it has really started to come up in the past week and there's that spring smell in the air. I've taken them out as much as I can to graze them, and they just wolf the grass down. Today I grazed Dude, and he had just taken a bite of grass when he suddenly dropped and rolled! Then, before getting up, he grabbed another mouthful of grass and lay there, leisurely chewing! It was pretty nice out, sunny and in the low 50s. Crazy, because we woke up to snow! It was nice standing out there currying him.

After I grazed him, I let him loose in the indoor since no one was in there, and he tore around a little snorting and bucking. He was pretty fired up. After bringing him in I had to brush him again, since he had rolled again in the indoor. Here he is on the cross ties, zoning out, with Bestie looking on and periodically whinnying as if to say, "Hey, when's my turn??"





I took Bestie out to graze and curried her while she munched, then saddled her up for a quick ride in the indoor. The wind was really blustery, so we didn't go too far down the path; she was on high alert :). The weather looks ok for tomorrow so maybe they'll go out, which will be good for everyone's mental outlook.

No comments: