Thursday, September 24, 2009

Bestie's leg looking better; vet to come on Monday

Today I thought Bestie's leg looked a lot better, except the little stinker keeps tearing off the scab on the skin break. Every day I wipe it clean of shavings and put this horsey antibacterial creme on it, and every day at some point I look at it again and from its extremely clean and ointment-free appearance quickly realize she's been licking at it. Guess she's acquiring a taste for the Farnham's 3 in 1 ointment, yuck. The vet is coming Monday for the recheck. I've got to call in tomorrow to talk about tacking on Potomac and flu/rhino shots, and to reorder the big (and big $$$) bag of daily wormer.

Not much new today. Dude and his buddies got switched to a different field, right in the front facing the cow field. When I left this morning he was happily wandering/grazing. When I arrived back at the barn this afternoon he and the two other geldings in the field were lined up watching CowTV. Pretty unconcernedly; they each had a rear leg cocked and resting. But their ears and eyes were definitely on the cow creatures grazing right across the fenceline. It appears that Herefords, which many of these are, do not bother Dude as much as the Holsteins at the old barn. Being a Quarter Horse, perhaps he feels that the Herefords are more of a manly round-up breed of cow. He's a horse with cow prejudices.

Catching up on a couple of photos I took earlier this week. This is the view I get when I walk Bestie out the path to graze her in the morning. The outdoor ring is a bit further along the path. Pretty nice surroundings!





This shot was taken the next morning, not at the barn but at our house. It was a double rainbow in an early morning pink sky and the picture definitely does not do it justice (I'm blaming both old camera and operator (me) ineffectiveness!). The pink sky really brought out the color of the changing leaves on the hill across from our house. You can just barely see the lighter rainbow to the left of the bright one. Again, the photo does not do it justice!


No comments: