Thursday, September 17, 2009

Over the hump but still a lump

Day 10 of twice daily hosing. I'm happy to say that Bestie's right leg is looking great. Her left leg is looking better but still not great. The hock swelling has gone down a lot, but there's still a soft swollen lump on the inside of her cannon bone and the ugly gouge up inside her stifle is still seepy. It's in a tough spot to do anything with. I dab it quickly each day with some antibiotic creme, but it's hard to get a second crack at it because she gets a little angry. Tonight was the last day for her oral antibiotic. Last night Emma gave it to her and then, as we were standing there talking, Bestie stuck her head out and started licking and sucking at the plastic syringe like it was the best thing she'd ever had. Crazy horse.

When I got to the barn this morning to graze and hose her she was raring to go and trotted out to the grass. I turned and watched her trot and she did not look lame at all. No excitement during grazing time today. Yesterday morning the turkeys were in the outdoor ring, which didn't really perturb Bestie, but she did keep checking them out until they moved away. I need to bring my camera; there have been a couple gorgeous mornings with mist in the valley and the sun on the hills.

I have to schedule Bestie's recheck for next week and the vet wants to see her lunged. Hopefully everything will check out ok.

I feel like poor Dude hasn't gotten much of my time. The good news is that he's been coming in unscathed from turnout with his new buddies. Today I did graze him and I'm hoping to get some riding time this weekend. It would be great to time it for when someone else is going out on the roads; I'd really like to take him out but would prefer to do the first road outing with another rider.

No comments: