Monday, September 28, 2009

Recheck time

Blah. I was in such a funk today I couldn't stand it. I think the three weeks of twice-a-day barn duty are catching up with me; I feel like I'm not giving anything 100 percent.

I decided to keep Dude in because his field is super muddy due to all the rain and with our farrier traveling I didn't want to risk him losing a shoe. I walked out to doublecheck the field this morning and nearly slipped myself, a sure omen that keeping him in would be good for his physical well being (if not for his mental state!). So I had two horses demanding my attention. I fed them both hay to settle them a bit and went to change my shoes before taking them out. Decided to graze Bestie first, after all, she's the one who has been in for THREE WEEKS. Grazed her and hosed her legs, then got Dude and grazed him. Stalls hadn't been done yet so I did their stalls. Was 9:15 by the time I got out of there, meaning a late arrival to work again.

In the afternoon I left work a little early in order to graze them and take the edge off before the vet's arrival. Of course it started raining right as I got to the barn, but I got them both out for about 20 minutes apiece. The vet checked Bestie over and was pretty happy with what he saw, but still sounded a note of caution about the slow-healing wound above her stifle, saying it was possible there could be a small bone chip in there. It has gotten a lot smaller, and he told me basically to leave it alone and let it crust over. If the healing process seems to stall, I need to call him for an x-ray to see if there is a small chip in there aggravating the wound.

Then out to the indoor arena to trot her and check for lameness. I hate that. I'm always running alongside them thinking, "Please oh please oh please..." The good news is that he said she is sound! I suspected as much having seen her trot next to me several times as we headed out to graze, but it was definitely nice to get an official "all good." Even after he did a flexion test, holding her leg up along her belly, setting it down, and then having me trot her out, she was sound. Huge HUGE sigh of relief. After that, back in for her Potomac and flu/rhino injections. She was really good. Poor thing, having to deal with the needle twice after the flexion.

Then it was Dude's turn. He was fine for the first shot, but when he saw the second needle coming, he surged down the aisle, basically pushing me along in front of him and the vet alongside. Aaaaaaaaack. The Dude tidal wave. Somehow the vet got the needle in and the deed was done. Wish I had a video montage of some of our "warm and fuzzy" (*not*) moments with the vet. They earn their pay, that's for sure.

So the bottom line is that Bestie can go back into turnout once we figure out a field situation and the weather clears. This weekend someone will be gone, so there will be an open field. I'm totally gun shy about putting her back with another horse and am contemplating paying for solo turnout. I'm supposed to take it slow with getting her back into work, starting with easy lunging and then light riding. Love it, a "prescription" for what I do as general practice!

It is absolutely pouring as I type this so looks like another day inside for Mr. Dude. At least their stalls are right across from each other so they're not staring at empty stalls. The other horses went out late today, except for the gelding next to Bestie who has had hives recently and seemed a little off. The back fields, where Dude usually is, will be pretty soupy tomorrow. The week's weather is not looking good at all, and with fall's cooler temperatures the fields will take a while to dry up. It's gonna be a l-o-n-g week.

No comments: