Saturday, September 5, 2009

Ewwwwwwwww!

I've been kind of looking forward to getting on Dude again, once he got his shoe tacked back on, but the big event was stalled by the fact that his saddle was mildewed. I mean REALLY mildewed. I hadn't really even looked at it after Katie went back to school, and when I went to carry it out to the car for the change of barns, it was pretty gross. So it's been sitting in the garage since last Saturday. I finally got around to cleaning it yesterday. At least, yesterday was when Scrubbing Number 1 occurred. The whole process actually took place over two days. Here's the "before" picture (all the light powdery looking areas are mildew):





Scrubbing Number 2 followed, then conditioning, then a final coat with this "saddle food" that I had bought last year from the tack store down the road from the old barn. It's a beeswax base that is supposed to be good for your hands too, so I figured why not throw it on as the final coat. There wasn't much I could do with the light suede seat -- a lot of that discoloration is good ol' sweat. Here's the finished product:





Looks pretty good. There's just something about a Western saddle. Yee-ha!

No comments: